Friday, August 27, 2010

Love Songs

'Alone' by Heart.  That was "our" song.  The summer before my senior year in high school, my girlfriend Beth and I decided, it was ours.  A couple years before that, Janine and I had decided 'Heaven' by Bryan Adams was ours.  This was common when I was in school, every couple for the most part had "their song".  I could go on and on listing songs by Journey, Chicago, Peter Cetera, even Motley Crue or Poison for that matter that all fit the bill but all I really have to mention to make my point is, 'Right Here Waiting For You' by Richard Marx - that was everyone's song.  Does this still happen today?  I don't have children so I'm not really sure but I would have to guess that even if they do... it may not be quite the same.  Has there been a truly legendary love song released in the past few years and if there has been... are the kids listening?

Taylor Swift, one of my favorite writers and artists for sure has connected in a very emotional way with kids through her songs and just by being her... but... taking nothing away from her accomplishments or her work... are any of them truly legendary love songs?  I guess only time will tell but I'm feeling probably not. 

I wonder if it isn't even entirely music's fault... has love within society these days become to convoluted by things like divorce, online dating, facebook, and Jerry Springer, to name a few, that it just isn't taken as seriously anymore?  Part of me thinks that may be a big contributing factor and that's a little disappointing.

Music however is and always has been both a reflection on and a driving force of the times.  Perhaps it's time for music to take the lead and be daringly positive and romantic about love... change never comes easy but it is almost always worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment